Tuesday, September 19

My Girlfriends

Friendships are so important to me. I just live for time when I can talk to or be with my girlfriends. Unfortunately, this just doesn't always happen as much as I'd like. As a stay-at-home mom you'd think I have more opportunities to connect with friends than I did when I was working outside the home. I do in many ways. But there's often an attachment or a distraction. Phone calls during the day usually become more stressful than enjoyable because my oldest is determined to have my undivided attention. Playdates often still involve a lot of parent interaction. And social functions with the family... well, that's just a joke sometimes. I always have an eye on one or both children. So I love when those phone calls go uninterrupted. I do enjoy playdates and social functions, but outings alone with friends are really ideal when I want to actually connect with a friend.

Not one friend meets all of my needs, nor do I for any one friend. I value what each of the women in my life bring to the table. Two different friends recently told me that they appreciate our friendship because they learn new things from me (not sure if those things are necessarily good :) ) and one said she likes friends who "challenge" her. Isn't that the truth? Those are two things I definitely appreciate in my friendships. The whole thing about friendship is that it is a reciprical relationship. We learn from each other. We listen and empathize with one another, while challenging each other to grow. We can laugh and have fun. We can share similarities and accept each other's differences.

I have had many friends in my life. Some of us have drifted apart and others will always be a part of my world. All of them have contributed to who I am today. So thank you, friends, for who you are to me.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Amen! It is so fun to reflect on girlfriends from birth to current and all that they have added to my life. It is also fun to think that in a few years it won't be so hard to get together with girlfriends more often again!

Anonymous said...

I second that AMEN, especially the part about not being able to get together with girlfriends enough.

I also wanted to say that this blogging thing is really great. I feel closer to the women in our SS class who are posting comments on these blogs than i have in a long time.

I make a point of reading these blogs at least every couple of days and try to comment on at least one entry.

Thanks to all you bloggers, it's a real blessing to me to be able to connect with you in this way.

Kris said...

It's true... blogging provides an added connection with friends. Obviously, the in-person contact is preferable, but just not always easy, or even possible.

Deb said...

I love it that I can still feel like I'm your friend even though we live hundreds of miles apart. Maintaining connections seems so difficult, but maybe blogs are one way to close the gap.

Anonymous said...

It's such a gift to have the friendship of women that you don't have to see every day but you know will root for you through difficult situations, listen if you need to talk, even if it's been months since you've last seen each other, and that you always feel like you can be yourself with. Thanks for being one of those people to me. : ) Christina

(I am absolutely addicted to reading your and Sarah's blogs. It's such a wonderful way to know what's going on with the two of you. I'm contemplating starting a blog but am a little intimidated by the prospect. Maybe I'll make it a New Year's resolution...)

Kris said...

It's so good to know that friends are reading and responding. I love to hear from you all - whether you live close by or at a distance.

Christina - you must start a blog. Maybe you could include some of your businesswoman tips. :) The beauty of a blog is that it's yours and you can go wherever you want with it. And I will definitely be a frequent visitor whenever you decide to begin!