Thursday, September 28

How Can I Keep From Singing?

My Grandma Arlene died yesterday. She was only weeks away from 91 years old. What an amazing life she lived! Grandma Arlene married my Grandpa Steiner 32 years ago. He was her third husband (she outlived each one.) She had two biological children, 6 step-children, and many, many grandchildren as a result of her three marriages. Although my mom and her siblings were all adults when Arlene joined the family, they developed a very tight bond with her. I have many memories of Grandma Arlene. She is the only grandma I ever knew on my mother's side of the family.

My most vivid memories of Grandma were off her love for games, cooking and music. She spent many times with me as a young girl playing Rummy Cube and Rack-o and Skippo (as well as others.)Grandma was also known for her delicious cooking. She would hum as she worked. She was a gifted singer and had been in a trio with her two sisters as a younger woman. Grandma experienced much joy and pain throughout her life. When I think of her, the song "My Life Flows On," a Mennonite hymn comes to mind. The second verse reads, "Through all the tumult and the strife, I hear that music ringing. It finds an echo in my soul. How can I keep from singing?" That was Grandma. Forever positive, forever singing.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

What a great tribute to your Grandma and what a gift to have a long, healthy life. May your family be blessed as you celebrate her life this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Your grandma sounds like an amazing woman who left a rich legacy. I'm sure she is so proud of the woman you've become, and it sounds like you've "inherited" many of her characteristics, even though she married into the family later in life! I hope the time with your family is full of wonderful reminiscing and celebration of the profound gift she was to you all.

Kris said...

Thanks, Sarah and Jen.