I started to comment back on the Journaling post and realized I was writing a book. So here's my followup to all of the great comments.
First of all, I think there are times in our lives when we operate at regular speed - meaning we do what needs to get done and maybe a little more. And then there are the "survival mode" times when we do what absolutely has to be done to keep all living beings in our household alive. Finally, there are fewer times when we can do all that and more. I see journaling (all forms, including scrapbooking) as fitting in that category. It's not always a priority and it shouldn't have to be. Women spend so much time making life worthwhile for their families that there isn't always time to do the "extras." While I love to read the anecdotes my mom recorded from my childhood, my favorite memories are the times she laid down with me before naps and played games with me. I would much rather my children look back and remember the time I spent with them. The clean house and fun scrapbooks and other mementos are just bonus... but not necessary.
I love the idea of writing letters to children on their birthdays. I also read recently about a woman who took a picture of her daughter every year in a woman-sized bathing suit (I like the dress shirt better.) The girl is now a teenager and she has this great progression of her life. Both are neat concepts depending on your interests.
I guess I'm still not settled about what to do with my journals some day. My mom had suggested years ago that I go through and destroy anything I don't want read. Too time consuming, I thought. There would really be little that is too personal to share with my children or husband. Yet I want to be sensitive to even that. I also think it would be fascinating if I could read records of my own mom's life had she done that as a teenager. I do really like the idea of writing a plan into our will. Perhaps my "Gayle" will be called to come into my house too someday to destroy my journals. :)

2 comments:
I agree with you that we should prioratize our tasks behind what needs to be done...being there for and spending time with our family and friends. I have a weakness sometimes for putting other things ahead of the things that really matter. Thanks for the gentle reminder.
As for your journals, keep them, share them when appropriate. I would probably allow my immediate family to have control of my journals after I'm gone. Who knows maybe someday your could publish them as your memiors?...
I do agree that journals are a good record for future generations. Perhaps I'll modify my previous statement and say that certain things I've written should not be read by anyone. But the other entries would be important and interesting to people at some point!
Post a Comment