Thursday, September 28

The Avocado

I read recently that October is the season for the Mexican avocado crop (the Haas variety.) This is very exciting for me because I love avocados! Avocados are not only tasty, they are an excellent source of folate, fiber, and vitamin E. Avocados are also sodium- and cholesterol-free and have only five grams of fat per serving, most of it the monounsaturated kind.

I am including some of my favorite uses for avocado:

- Chop or mash up and add to sandwiches or wraps (BLTs, anything with turkey, ham, chicken) My friend, Sarah, once created a wrap with hard boiled egg, spinach, tomato, and avocado. This is one of my favorites to make.
- Add to any Mexican-like dish - on top of tacos or taco salad, burritos, enchiladas, rice and beans, etc.
- Make guacamole (Inspired by my friend, Jen S., I like one with mashed avocado, some salsa (or onions and tomatoes), Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, and a little salt and pepper)
- Dice up as a good finger food for babies and toddlers

Here are a few good recipes I’ve tried with avocado:
Avocado/Spinach Salad
Spinach leaves (sorry about all the spinach here – we may need to hold off on these)
Chopped avocado
Toasted walnuts
Feta cheese (can also use bleu cheese)
Note: I just play around with ingredients here depending on size of group and tastes. This dressing is fabulous and needs no dressing!!

Avocado Potato Salad
1/3 fresh lemon juice
2 t. garlic, finely chopped
¾ c. mayo
¼ c. olive oil
36 oz. Red new potatoes, cooked and diced
1 c. celery, diced
1 c. sweet onion, chopped
2 lbs. Avocados, diced
½ c. cilantro, chopped (another good, but sometimes acquired, flavor)
To make dressing, mix lemon juice and garlic; stir in mayo and oil and reserve. Combine potato, celery, and onion and then fold in reserved dressing. Just before serving, gently fold in avocado and cilantro and garnish with cilantro or celery leaves if desired.

Tropical Puree (for the babies in your life)
¼ cup plain yogurt or cottage cheese
½ ripe banana, mashed
½ ripe avocado, mashed
(Okay, so I haven’t actually tasted this one but Andrew liked it)

Any other avocado lovers out there? How do you like to eat it?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love avaocado! What good news, maybe they will be on sale next week.

Christina

Sarah said...

I also love avocados! I am hoping they're on sale too... One of my favorite uses is to just put half of a sliced avocado on a turkey sandwich. I slice it, fan it on the bread and it sort of becomes its own little "mayo" not needing mayo for the sandwich. My mouth is watering just thinking about avocados!!

Kris said...

Glad to hear there are some other avocado fans out there. Sarah, I like your sandwich idea. I'll have to try that soon...

hillary said...

I love avacado as well. I've been feeding a lot to Juniper and will try the Tropical Puree - I bet she loves it. One of my absolutely favorite ways to eat avacado is to add one cut up to fresh chunky salsa and dip chips in it. It is like a fresh version of guacamole. Of course an avacado always tastes great added to a BLT. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I've been known to eat my avacado on sandwiches and salads. I even enjoy eating a half just with salt and pepper and a big old spoon. I haven't tried it yet but, I bet it would be tasty in an omlette of some sort. I'm thinking avacado isn't just good to eat; maybe it's good as a facial or conditioner for hair? And the color is just gorgeous...so rich and vibrant. I bet it would make beautiful pasta-why not?-there's spinach pasta and gnocchi (potato pasta).

Kris-
To answer your question from Sarah's blog: Katie's CD player is pink and purple with 3 of the Disney Princesses on the top. It also doubles as a jewelry box with a mirror inside the lid and storage on the sides. It even has CD storage inside the lid. It's pretty snazzy!

Kris said...

What a great idea... I bet it would have good properties for facial or hair product. You should market it!!

And about the CD player, they are the same. I never realized that there was CD storage though too!! Pete had bought it with her and I guess I just never looked under there. Thanks for the tip!

Deb said...

The avocados were $1.25 today at Limbo, the neighborhood produce market next to Trader Joe's. And they were large and just starting to give the tiniest bit when you snuggled them in your hand and warm as if just picked in the California sun. Oh, I love me some avocado!