Pete and I have had a bedtime routine with Emma since she was about four months old. It started with a bath, a bedtime story, nursing and rocking for a few songs as we listened to a CD. It's changed with time... we added teeth brushing, phased out nursing, held her hand through the crib instead of rocking. Now that she's 3 1/2, it's evolved to bath (a few times a week), play a game, potty, pjs, brush teeth, read a book, and lay down with her for two songs in her bed (we take turns, of course.) Yes, it's a lengthy process and it sometimes needs to be altered. But we really enjoy the special time it gives us with her at the end of a busy day. I truly believe children are not meant to be pushed into independence too early. This routine gives her structure and predictability, but still allows her to be a child.
While we lay beside her and listen to the CD, we always ask Emma about her favorite part of the day. A common answer is "having Daddy home." On Tuesday her response was, "going to preschool" - her first day. She then always asks us the question in return. After that, we say a prayer together.
I think asking Emma about her favorite part of the day is not only teaching her thankfulness and how to reflect on the day, it's also a reminder to me of how I can be grateful. So I'd like to share with you my favorite parts of today:
- Mowing the lawn while Emma was at preschool and Andrew napped. 30+ minutes of exercise and solitude! And one chore marked off my to-do list!
- Playing ball in the yard with Emma this evening.
- Reading Andrew "Goodnight Moon" before bed tonight. He giggles as I read the words and point to the pictures. It is so dang cute!
- Nursing and snuggling with Andrew before bed.
- Playing UNO with Pete and Emma.
Life is good...

2 comments:
I will always remember how you read the story at our staff meeting that time. You should record your story telling on a video and sell them on Ebay!!! I love you forever! Pam
I can't believe you remember that!! I think I'm too sappy. :) I highly doubt I'd make it with EBAY but maybe my children would enjoy that someday. And I love you too forever, Pammy.
Post a Comment