Sunday, September 24

All Boy



I'm not crazy about stereotypes. They are based on generalizations and assumptions that simply may not be accurate or fair. Sometimes they are down right ignorant and rude. But often there is some ounce of truth behind stereotypes which is why I believe they exist. That's why I title this "All Boy." As a parent, I am committed to not pushing my children into traditional gender roles, toys and activities.

The thing is that from the very beginning, Andrew seems to be much more drawn to trucks and balls than Emma ever has been (and yes, we introduced her to both of those at a young age.) Now granted is not quite 10 months old yet, so this all could change. However I have heard several friends comment that their boys just seem to be drawn toward these items. Emma, has always had a nurturing instinct to her. Perhaps it is genetic. Maybe it was learned because her main role model has been me. I just think it's fascinating to have one of each and be able to watch their interests progress.

So that all gets me to the title of this post. Andrew is everywhere these days. He's been crawling and pulling himself up for a couple of months and he is very curious about everything. Emma was definitely that way as well. In fact, in some ways she seems to have more energy... or maybe that's because she was our first child. The difference is, Andrew has been bumping into EVERYTHING! In the past three days, he has acquired five different marks on his face, all from various accidents. The first involved a nightstand and underneath his eye. This morning in the nursery he cut his nose on something. In each case, he is pulling himself up and exploring his world. Pete asked me yesterday if I thinks he is clumsy. No, I think he is all boy. There's got to be a reason that people use that phrase, right?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I can honestly say that my experience, especially with Jonah, is that perhaps there is a reason for gender stereotypes. I bought Jonah a doll when I was pregnant, which he hasn't played with nearly as much as anything with wheels or sport-related. Andrew must not be overly bothered by getting hurt, otherwise he wouldn't keep taking chances to explore!!

I have to say the cutest thing that I saw today at church was Andrew stuffing the ENTIRE elephant's ear into his mouth all at once to chew on. So darn cute!!

Anonymous said...

you do need to get a couple of good pictures, or better yet video, of him and smelephant!

any luck finding another yet? i never heard from the company. maybe he'll last forever. let's hope! :)

ton