Sunday, December 10

Simple Joys



This is a fun year with Emma. She has such excitement for both Christmas and the snow. She has two Advent calendars - one my mom made of felt years ago for my sister and me, and one she made at school. She goes to the felt one first each morning and reaches into the pocket after she figures out what day it is. Afterward she heads to her handmade tree where she puts a sticker on the right day. Along with these traditions, she has been requesting to "enjoy the lights" each evening before bed. We turn off all of the lights except for the ones on the tree and the mantle. The three of us (Andrew's in bed) snuggle on the couch and sing Christmas songs. Yesterday morning Emma and I went to the grocery store with a list of items for the food pantry. We bought for pantries in both Elkhart and St. Joe County since we border the two, and both our church and her preschool do collections. Emma and I had a long conversation about who might need food and why they might not have enough money to buy their own, etc. I think/hope it made an impression on her. She was very enthusiastic about buying certain items for "the pantry." I hope we can make this an annual tradition. These all have been special ways to prepare for and celebrate Jesus's birth. I look forward to more ways we can do this as a family as the children get older.

Friday evening, Pete, Emma, and I cuddled on the couch and watched "Polar Express" while we ate popcorn and drank Sprite. Emma's disappointed whenever she smells us making popcorn after she has gone to bed, so this was extra special for her!! On Saturday, she and Pete made a snow person. You can see he/she is very unique. She is very proud of her work with daddy!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you are starting some special Christmas traditions with Emma and Andrew. They'll always cherish those memories. The snow person is unique- I love him/her! But I especially love the two of you cuddled up together with the huge smiles on your faces!
Christmas is such a fun time for little ones!

Mom

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about a three year old's enthusiasm for just about anything. This year with Katie it was so much fun celebrating the different holidays. Halloween had trick or treating and costumes, Thanksgiving had a "big turkey" and pumpkin pie, and Christmas has the story of baby Jesus along with Christmas trees, lights, cookies, and presents. It's so much fun to see things through a three year old's eyes.

I love the snowman. We didn't get around to making one but, Katie did get to make a few snow angels. Jackson wasn't to excited about playing in the snow so I got to hold him while I tried to help Katie.

Anonymous said...

Kris, I too love the snow person! He/She is so cute and round! I also love watching movies with the kids. We did this a few weeks ago with Sasha and Matthew, and it was extra special since it was in the evening (usually we let them watch videos during the day only). Sasha knows we watch movies with popcorn too so she always loves it when she can have a snack as well. It's amazing how easily they can be excited and pleased by things. It always reminds me how vulnerable and innocent they are. Such precious times these are, no?

Anonymous said...

I love the photos!!! My favorite is Emma coming up with the time to "enjoy the lights" together. I imagine this will become a tradition for your family year after year and it's especially nice because it was Emma's idea.

Our snow didn't pack well - Pete and Emma did an excellent job on their snow person - I especially like the scarf!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! We watched "The Muppets Christmas Carol" tonight as a family. It was fun to see Canyon talk about giving at Christmas time.... Especially after shopping for items for local food banks too last week. "Some kids are going to get some great cereal", said Canyon.

Anonymous said...

Kris, these memories you're making and the photos to go with them are absolutely priceless! I love the way you are being intentional about the holiday time and letting it be a mixture of enjoying the traditions and also remembering those who need a helping hand. I think it's especially touching that Emma is leading the way of stopping to enjoy the basics of Christmas. Bless her heart!
p.s. That snowman is adorable, btw!