One household chore I have a difficult time keeping up with is cleaning floors. I think it's because a) I have several of them (kitchen, mud room, 2 bathrooms, and three small tiled areas) b) The high-traffic areas get dirty so easily and frequently... and hairy (although this has improved with just a cat and no longer a dog) c) This is one chore I cannot successfully accomplish when my children are present and awake in the house and d) I hate using a mop. I've had little success with them. They seem to just push around the hair and the dirt.
I like to clean my floors the old fashioned way. I like to get down on my hands and knees and scrub. The water and the rag gets changed at least once. My theory is if I'm taking the time to clean, it might as well get really clean. My goal is to scrub floors once a week. It's been more like 1-2 times a month in the last year.
So here's my tip for other hands-and-knees scrubbers. I use Pete's old boxers. The ones that rip after years of wear and get turned into rags. I like the flannel cotton ones best because the fabric is soft for washing and the elastric trim on the waist is perfect for scrubbing. So if you haven't discovered this yet and you or a male in your household wears boxers, I recommend you try it!!
Just call me Heloise today. :)

5 comments:
I also like to scrub the floors on my hands and knees but don't do it nearly as often as you. Aiming for once a week and still getting it done 1-2x a month is pretty darn impressive!!
Likewise here .. hands and knees are the only thing I find that works. Old boxers are a great idea. And I second the fact that you even getting it done twice a month is impressive! Also, I remember reading before that you no longer have Cole. When did you become dogless? If you don't want to comment here, email me!
Ah, I use to prefer hands-and-knees style too but now I use this floor spray stuff with a cloth (very much like flannel boxers!) on a mop type thing. Okay, not very good at describing it. Now, I actually do get my floors done once a week and I feel like they get just as clean as hands-and-knees method. (I still do the corners on my knees though - but only 1 time a month!) Oh, I can't wait til I'm back to work and I hire someone to clean my house!!
Ha!
I used to use your hand and knees method before we moved into our current home. Now I have a huge, wood floor, kitchen/dining area, as well as, a decent sized, tiled foyer and hall bath. It would take me forever to hand mop it all and it would kill my knees. I went out and bought a big, fluffy mop; the kind with all of the strings. I also invested in a nice mop bucket with one of those levers to compress or wring out the mop with. It works great. I generally mop with that once a month and do touch ups with a swiffer mop as needed. I also wait until the children are in naps to mop the floor; it's just easier that way.
Post a Comment