"I can be changed by what happens to me.
But I refuse to be reduced by it."
- Maya Angelou
The phrase that embodies the Tico lifestyle is Pura Vida, literally translated as Pure Life, meaning roughly "Cool!" Friends often greet or salute each other with Pura vida mae (or Pure life, dude, which could be rendered as "Cool, dude!") This all-encompassing statement is used by many Costa Ricans (and expatriates) to refer to the free spirit and love for life of this tropical country. Also refers to the state of something going really well or being very positive.
3 comments:
I hope you keep posting "Thoughts for the day." I love quotes and I love reading the ones you post!
I love Maya! Another quote of hers that impacted me:
"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."
Oooh, I like that one. Thanks, Jen. I'm afraid you would see some of the not-so-favorable things about my personality then... especially with the Christmas lights. I'm a little short on the patience sometimes.
Post a Comment