Ever have one of those days? It's not that it's going badly. I'm just really, really tired. I've had a sick baby since Thursday (Emma was sick the three days prior to that) and I've had one too many sleepless nights. It's getting better, and it's actually quite manageable in the whole scope of things. But I need a pick-me-up today.
What I'd really like to be doing right now is taking a nap while the kids sleep. I'm grateful that they nap together and I have some down time in the afternoons. I rarely nap anymore because, but there are times like today when my body is screaming for it. We leave on Thursday for TN so there's lots of laundry to be done, stuff to pack, a few more presents to wrap, and Christmas letters to be addressed. Emma's preschool Christmas program is also early this evening so I need to be sure everyone is fed, dressed properly, and out of the house by 6.
So I'm charging on, despite that intense urge to curl up on my sofa. I made myself some Irish Cream flavored hot chocolate and I'll get done what I can. And maybe tomorrow I'll be able to justify that little nap. I salute all of you who don't have the luxury to take that afternoon nap... whether it's because you work outside the home, or one of your kids doesn't nap, or because you, too, have other responsibilities calling your name. Drink your caffeine, take a brisk walk in the cool air, put on some upbeat music, chat with a coworker or friend, and then crash when you can. Because we all deserve it!!!

3 comments:
I know what you mean about those days when you feel "fuzzy" or just plain worn out when you haven't had a good night's sleep. I hope you can get to bed in decent time tonight, and that both of your kids sleep well-- so that you can, too!
I think exhaustion is the hardest part of parenting. I cannot imagine caring for sick children on top of the already busy Christmas season - I hope that your household rests well tonight and that all of you are on the mend. Nap when you can - the other things will get done, somehow!!
I agree too that exhaustion and sleep deprivation are definitely the hardest parts of parenting. When I didn't see you guys at church tonight I was afraid that Emma might have gotten sick too, then was glad to hear you were just at her preschool program. I hope you can recuperate with a good night's sleep tonight and feel better able to cope with the day tomorrow.
Post a Comment