Last February we purchased a half of a cow with friends of ours. We thought it a good decision... we knew where the cow was coming from, what it was fed, what is was not injected with, and it filled our freezer with a variety of cuts of beef that could be used throughout the year. It's been really nice to have roasts, steaks, and ground beef on hand.
One thing I would do different.y next time is to ask them to ground certain cuts of meat into ground beef instead. First of all, we told them to just give us cuts as they were since this was our first time and we wanted to see how it would all work out. Secondly, we were given about half as much ground beef as the original information had stated. So... we ended up with lots of beef bones, some shanks, and some other cuts I just plain had never heard of.
So I'm looking for some recipes. Do you have any good ones out there for shanks or short ribs? And what I'd really like is a yummy recipe for beef and noodles (I'd like to use my beef bones for this one.) I could (and have) look through cookbooks but it's always nice when someone shares a recipe he/she has made before and knows is tasty. Those are the ones I'm looking for!! Bring on the recipes!

8 comments:
As the other quarter of the cow over here, we are in the same boat. I will say that the soup bones were the things that I just could not handle. Just thinking about cooking them makes me want to vomit and I am not a very queasy person, typically. I have a great soup recipe using beef shanks, if you'd like it.
Yes, I would like that shank recipe. I actually put it on my menu for next week but then I started craving the beef and noodles. Perhaps you could post your recipes on your blog or here?
I've never used beef shanks but, it seemed there was a wide variety of recipes if you do a google search.
As for beef and noodles, I like to use the recipe from the Mennonite Community Cookbook. I like garlic so I make sure to put garlic in. I've made homemade noodles (before I had children) but, I find the Essenhaus egg noodles to be pretty tasty. I prefer a nice meaty noodle. The key to good beef and noodles is adequate seasoning and long, slow simmering; 'til the meat is so soft and tender.
Thanks for the tip, MCM. I'd love to try this recipe. Unfortunately, this is one cookbook I don't own. Would you (or anyone else who gets to it before MCM) mind posting it? I hope to get it on my menu next week!
KOREAN SHORT RIBS
8 lean short ribs
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. minced onions
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. sesame seeds
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 finely minced garlic bud
Mix all ingredients together in large bowl; marinate short ribs in mixture, covered, all day in the refrigerator. Broil in oven 10 minutes bone side down, 5 minutes one side, 5 the other, checking frequently.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=korean+short+ribs
Here's the soup recipe I've used. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1748,155184-238207,00.html
Three techniques I've used to keep meat tender that are almost fail-proof:
1.) Season it with salt/pepper then tenderize it with a meat mallet, pounding it on both sides.
2.) Brown it in oil in the skillet. This will sear in the juices while the inside cooks more slowly later on.
3.) Slow cook it in the crockpot on low for anwhere from 6-9 hours, depending on how much meat you have. This will produce meat that falls off the fork, no matter what recipe you try! Good luck!
don't think we eat enough beef for this but hope it works out well for you, It would certainly be handy!
Post a Comment