Tuesday, October 31

Recently Devoured

You may have seen Corn Chowder on my menu for a couple of weeks. I finally made it, along with some homemade oatmeal bread, for dinner this past Sunday. All four of us loved it. This recipe is from my friend, Beth, an occasional commenter on this blog. Thanks, Beth, for introducing this to us!!

Corn Chowder

1/2 c. butter (I'm sure you could cut this down but I didn't :))
2 potatoes, peeled and diced (I used three)
2 ribs celery, minced
2 T. chopped green or red sweet pepper
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 T. flour
1 t. salt
1 cup water
2 T. chicken bouillon
20 oz. frozen corn
3 - 4 c. Half-n-half or milk (I used 2 c. fat free half-n-half and 2 c. skim milk)
large can chicken breast (optional - Beth adds this to make it a little heartier... I did too)

Saute first 5 ingredients about 10 minutes or until almost tender. Blend in flour and salt. Cook one minute. Stir in water and bouillon, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes. Then add corn and milk (this is when I added the chicken too.) Gently heat through.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys enjoyed this chowder. It is one of my favorite things to make as it is so good and so easy! It freezes very well too and I have two batches in the freezer right now for after baby meals. A perfect fall meal!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Sounds perfect for fall. I'll have to try it soon. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Sounds very yummy. I can't wait to try it!