One thing I enjoy doing is supporting local or individual artisans. I think it's wonderful when people find an art or a trade which they are gifted in and passionate about. It makes me feel good to know that I am supporting them. I know where the money is going and that the product is good. When I can, I enjoy purchasing gifts like these for family and friends.
One of our favorite local artists is potter, Eric Strader. He's a wonderful friend of ours and very talented at what he does. We have several pieces of his pottery and find them both functional and beautiful. You can check out Eric's pottery online or if you live locally, he has an open house at his studio this Saturday, November 4 from 9AM - 6PM. I can get you more information on that if you'd like.
Another artist I support wholeheartedly is my cousin, Lori. She is not local but of course is dear to my heart since she is family. Several years ago she began making handcrafted and natural soups and has expanded her business to salts and other gifts. I absolutely love her soap as it leaves my skin clean and fresh and soft. I know she uses natural ingredients which is important to me. If you've visited my home, you know that there is a rarely a bar of soap here that is not made by Lori. Two of my favorites are her calendula bar for babies and her Cocoa Mint Swirl PLUS bar. But really, I can't stop there because I've never used one that I haven't loved. My husband went crazy when he first tried her shampoo bar. He exclaimed over and over about how his hair had never felt so good before. (Yes, I'm very serious about this.)
There are others who I have supported, but don't necessarily have businesses large enough to warrant a website. Sarah's sister, Hillary, for example used to make beautiful beaded jewelry. I've gotten many compliments on the earrings I have purchased from her. Hillary, do you have time for that these days or plans to return to this artistic endeavor? (Sarah may have to answer this one for us.)
Rob, my cousin and husband to Sarah, is also a gifted artisan. He crafts Shaker boxes. I'm not aware of any he has sold but perhaps this is in his plan for the future. We were so extremely lucky to receive some as a gift a few years ago. Since having a family, his time is more limited to pursue this, I understand. But I hear of some he occasionally makes and they are absolutely gorgeous!
There are many others of you who have gifts of creating in the home, in the kitchen, in the garden. Are there others I am missing or whom you can suggest? I would love to hear about other artisans you support and/or recommend.

4 comments:
I'm excited about the soaps! They seem like good stocking stuffers for Christmas. Pete's testimonial seals the deal.
Josh has a soap collection he started when he was a teenager. Everytime he went somewhere or anyone he knew went on a trip, he would get the "free" soap from the hotel/motel. He saved it for a long time and then last year he decided he wanted to use all the soaps. Now we must use all of the soaps in a certain order, that only he can decide on. I really don't care for most of the soaps (especially the bars from cheap motels, you know what I'm talking about) because they are so drying and/or they leave awfull soap scum in the sink or shower. The soap collection somehow was spared from Hurrican Katrina (drat!); I'm not sure if he pulled it out when we evacuated or if it was above the water line. I prefer liquid hand soaps and insist that we have it in the guest bathroom. I used the soap collection for a while but, now I have my own liquid hand soap and liquid bodywash for the shower.
It's just one of Josh's quirks but, I love him anyways.
As for local artisians, I want to buy some of Eric's pottery soon. I've heard so much about it. I also enjoy Dick Lehman's pieces and have bought them for gifts for people from out of state. We have a floor model dining table from Swartzendruber's; they were having a big sale and we were lucky enough to be looking for a table at the time. My father enjoys working with wood, as well, and we have a table of his. It survived Katrina with minor damage and he repaired it. Now we use it for our desk. I hope to get more pieces from him that we can pass down to our children.
There is just something about knowing the person who made an item with thier own hands. It gives each piece a history that you don't get from mass production.
This is a great topic, Kris, thank you.
In answer to a couple of your artists talents, Hillary would consider coming out here and selling some Sparkly Gal jewelry again. It would help pay for her plane ticket for two far away sisters. I told her that I could certainly round up some buyers!
Rob is somewhat bashful when it comes to his boxes, but they are beautiful and he would love to take requests for boxes if anyone wants to be a customer. It just might take awhile depending on the time of year, etc.
AND...there are potters who have donated to Dick Lehman (Goshen potter struggling with cancer). There was a cover story about this in the Elkhart Truth. The pottery will be sold at The Bag Factory at Lehman's store. Sounds like another great way to support a good cause and get beautiful handcrafted pottery. On your way to Eric's, of course!!
have we met? i'm a friend of sarah s. and linked to your blog through hers. you might be interested in my website of stuff that i make. it's www.pidoodle.com
i started a few years ago just making jewelry, but i've expanded to more and more crafty stuff. let me know if you'd like more information on anything!
:)
carissa
Hi, Carissa - I do remember you from GC. I've checked out your blog myself a couple of times. I'm not sure I've been to pidoodle though so I'll be sure to go there next. Thanks for stopping in and sharing!!
Post a Comment