Friday, November 10

The Sounds of Christmas

I love listening to Christmas music. I have been known to start playing it a bit on the early side. I know there was a year I began in September. Pete claims I started once in August but I'm not ready to agree with him. This year I waited until October. Yes, thank you. I consider that an accomplishment as well. I just love the sounds of Christmas. I have lots of good CDs. The music is uplifting to me and reminds me of the joy of the season. When I was in a slump a few weeks ago, my Christmas CDs were one of the things that got me through. And they remain in my disc changer here at home.

As I child, one of my favorite records was Amy Grant's Christmas album. I know she has several now so I can't remember what the title was. But it had a song called, "Tennessee Christmas" (which I find kind of ironic since I get to spend Christmases in TN every few years now :)) and another entitled, "Emmanuel." I used to blare these songs over and over.

Now some of my favorites are:
  • "December", George Winston
  • "Merry Christmas", Mariah Carey
  • "These Are the Special Times", Celine Dion
  • Handel's Messiah
  • "Christmas Live", Manheim Steamrollers

I would love other suggestions too. I'm always up for expanding my collection.

We also have a Rosie O'Donnell Christmas CD that has a duet with Elmo so you can imagine that's been getting a lot of play time around here. Emma loves to sing and dance as I do (forgot about this similarity in my last post) so I'd love to expand her collection. Any suggestions for good kids' Christmas albums?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Bing Crosby.

Anonymous said...

Okay, weird, 3,000 miles away I was in my house blaring "Tennessee Christmas" and "Emmanuel" as loud as I could. I love Christmas music, too, but don't tend to get it out QUITE so early. I haven't gotten it out yet this year. I have a Celtic Christmas album that is beautiful - perhaps you'd like a copy, oh Christmas Music Lover!

Anonymous said...

I grew up with that Amy Grant CD, too. I love "Tennesee Christmas." My mom always get the Christmas music flowing early, too, but I am not sure as early as you. :) I should start listening now, too so I can get in the Christmas spirit early!

Deb said...

I know that Handel's "Messiah" covers Advent AND Easter but I have always loved it as Christmas music. I have a cd that I pull out every year. "And the glory, the glory of the Lord, shall be-e-e-e-e-e-e-e reveal-ed."

Kris said...

Freedmama - Can't quite bring up Bing Crosby in my mind... I'll have to check out his music sometime.

Sarah - I'd love a copy of your Celtic CD if you get a chance.

Okay, so we all remember the Amy Grant album... anyone remember what is was called?

Anonymous said...

Looked for it with yahoo .. looks like it's very simply "A Christmas Album" from 1983.
http://www.amygrant.de/Musik/AChristmasAlbum/

Kris said...

Thanks, Chan, for doing the research for us!!! It's so good, by the way, to have you on the blog.

Anonymous said...

I am loving my music too, we should share?!