The kids and I went to an apple orchard with Emma's preschool on Tuesday (I wanted to post this yesterday but my computer was being stubborn.) It was a chilly day, but one of teachers said it felt like Miami Beach compared to the day before. So we were fortunate to have the day with more sunshine. Both children did a wonderful job and had lots of fun as we rode the hayride, picked some Fuji apples, selected a spaghetti squash, and walked through the corn maze.
One of our favorite things to eat for breakfast are apple fritters. Since we have a plethora of apples right now, I made these for Emma and I yesterday. Yum!!
Breakfast Apple Fritters
Mix the following together with a wire whip:
3 eggs
1 c. milk
1 c. flour
pinch of salt
little sugar
2-3 chopped, peeled apples
Fry in a hot skillet. Serve with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

7 comments:
Kris, I can't wait to try these apple fritters. They sound delicious and a nice alternative to pancakes! I'm assuming you'd use a baking-type apple for these?
Lesley
Alexis and I loved spending the day with you & Emma. (Alexis and Emma go to the same preschool). I have never eaten an apple straight off the tree.. they were amazingly delicious. I remember picking oranges off our tree in the backyard (we lived in Texas)when I was little, but picking apples with my daughter will be a memory I wont soon forget. And I can't wait to scrapbook it! Recently, my mom made a delicious apple pie with Courtland apples. They are not so sweet and the pie was out of this world.
Anyway Kris, glad to hear you had fun... cute photos! thanks for carpooling.
Ramona
These sound yummy! It looks like you all had so much fun apple pickin'! It's great that you and the domestic goddess take your children to pick fresh produce. I tried to take Katie to pick peaches at my parent's this summer. The grass was wet from a morning rain and that just set Katie off. She was wearing sandals and didn't want to get her feet wet. Then the mosquitos were really bad (because it was so humid) and I didn't bring any bug spray. The ground was covered with rotting peaches that had fallen from the trees and they, in turn, were covered with bees and ants. Not the ideal situation for any mother/child bonding situation let alone, for my Katiebug! Katie and Jackson ended up sitting on a blanket (screaming and sweating up a storm) while I speed picked enough peaches to at least make a pie. It was not a pretty picture. From your pictures, it looks like you had a lot more fun.
I actually use whatever apple I have on hand in the fritters. But yes, one that cooks a little better is tastier. I used Golden Delicious this week and they were very good.
These photos are too cute - I'm glad both kiddos did well in the cold. We love to pick apples too - although we were disappointed when we went there this year and the hayride wasn't running. Whoops!
Oh, and Andrew's coat looks very cute on him!! :) (It was Jonah's for all of you other readers out there.)
If I can't see my grandkids in real life, then the next best is in pictures! The kids look so cute all bundled up in these pictures! I have fun memories of making yummy apple fritters with you and Tonya. I'm glad Emma is loving them, too!
Mom
Post a Comment