Wednesday, October 4

Smokehouse Spaghetti

In my last post, Deb asked about Smokehouse Spaghetti. This dish is one my mom made often when I was growing up. It's now a family favorite of ours. It's a good company dish. I often take it to others when they need a meal. It's a hit with kids and it freezes well too!

Smokehouse Spaghetti

1 lb. ground beef
1/4 lb. bacon
1 medium chopped onion
1 - 15 oz. and 1 - 8 oz. tomato sauce
1 - 4 oz. can mushrooms (with juice)
1 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 lb. shredded provolone
1/4 lb. shredded cheddar
8 oz. cooked spaghetti

Fry bacon and remove. Brown beef and onion. Add all but cheeses and spaghetti; simmer 15 miutes. Add spaghetti. Layer cheeses and spaghetti/sauce mixture in 9x13 pan. End with cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes (or less) at 375 degrees. If made ahead and stored in fridge, may need 45 minutes.

Notes:
- I play around a lot with cheeses. I rarely use provolone and still like the flavor.
- Instead of tomato sauce and spices, I have used already prepared spaghetti sauce before, but I prefer sticking to the recipe.
- I often add a little more than 8 oz. spaghetti.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a recipient of this dish when Kris brought it to our house (after Aaron was born) I must say that it is one of our entire family's ALL TIME FAVORITES. It rocked our world. This is a definite hit, with mostly anyone-- kids, adults, picky eaters, you name it!

hillary said...

This sounds great! I think I'll be trying it soon and I'll let you know how it turns out!

Deb said...

Sounds good (and with ingrediants I usually have on hand).

Thanks for posting the recipe!