Friday, October 13

Taco Soup

I made this soup for my family last weekend and my mom requested the recipe. So here is the recipe, Mom, and whoever else might be interested. It is one of our favorites!

Taco Soup

2 lbs. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
3 (15 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes
1 (16 oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed, drained
1 (16 oz.) can lima beans, rinsed, drained
1 (16 oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
1 (15 oz.) can golden hominy, drained
3 (4 oz.) cans chopped green chiles, drained
1 1/2 cups water
1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
Shredded cheddar
Tortilla or corn chips (I like Fritos!)

Brown meat with onion and drain. Stir in the remainder of ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently; reduce heat. At this point you can put it into a crockpot on "high" until boils, then on "low" 4-6 hours OR you can simmer for 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
  • May add addtional water for desired consistency.
  • Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with cheese and chips. You can also top with sour cream.
  • May substitue ground turkey for beef and use other beans instead of ones listed. I have not tried this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Kris, for the recipe! It's cold this morning here in PA, and that would taste so good on a chilly day like today. I love to enjoy your new recipes-adds variety to my menus! Keep those blog entries coming- I am a faithful fan!

Mom

Anonymous said...

This was one of my favorites when we came to visit! yum