Friday, October 13

Kitty Litter



This is Elly. She joined our family five years ago when her previous family moved across the country and couldn't take her with them. She is such a sweet cat and has put up with much tormenting from her former brother, Cole (our dog), and various children in our home (including our own, of course.)

Elly is not has a great personality, she is very cute (as you can see here.) I'm not biased or anything. Pete has his complaints when her regurgitated dinner or a hairball is occasionally deposited on our carpet somewhere. But other than that, we are pretty lucky.

I must say, though, that lately I just hate cleaning out her litter box. It never seemed to bother me before and then I got out of it for about 18 months of my life thanks to my two children. But now it's my daily task again and it's just no fun. I think a big part of this is that I am not happy with our cat litter. I've tried several kinds. I really prefer a clumping kind so I can just scoop out the nasty. And I can't handle anything with a scent or dust. I also would really like to find something environmentally friendly. My dad uses something called "Yesterday News" that uses recycled paper, I believe. I'm not sure what it's effect on the environment is once it's used as cat litter.

I suppose what I should really do is my research, but I just don't feel like taking the time. There are many other things that are higher priority right now. So I start here... any cat lovers out there? What's your litter of choice? Do you have any odor/dust-free, environmentally-friendly, preferably clumping recommendations? Oh yeah, and I hate putting it in plastic bags that are also not great sitting in dumpsites somewhere. Does anyone out there do something else with their litter besides throw it in their garbage?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kris! We love the "crystals" cat litter! There's no dust, no scent, and it lasts for longer then the others. It's a little more expensive but so worth it! Also, they have a "Litter Locker" which is a container that is sealed to drop in dirty litter. When it's full, you just dump it in a trash bag that is going to the curb. It eliminates those other bags! Hope this helps!

Kris said...

Thanks for the good suggestions, "Anonymous." I'll have to try them out. And dare you share your identity?

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I have been using Fresh Step clumping without much thought about it. This brings up good points about cat litter. Thank you, Anonymous, for some great tips. Kris, if you try the crystals you'll have to let us know how they work.

Anonymous said...

Hey, it is your sis. First, let me say that is a great pic of Elly. She is such a sweetie.

If you are looking for something environmentally friendly I have heard a lot of good things about YESTERDAY'S NEWS from friends and vets! It is made from recycled newspaper and is biodegradable. It says not to use in garden but I know people who incinerate or compost it with no problem. But do not flush! It is definetely worth a try!

Dad and I are not fans of the crystals. They stick in the cats' paws and roll all over the place.

love-ton

Anonymous said...

I'd better weigh in on this most important topic... the product we use most is Exquisi-Cat made from pine sawdust into pellets. It is certainly environment friendly so I compost it. It does well on odor, a bit more expensive than most but seems to go a long way since the pellets turn to saw dust and expand with moisture. The down side -- the saw dust will perhaps track more than some products. I can bring you a sample to try sometime... Dad

Kris said...

Thanks, Tonya and Dad. I have all sorts of stuff to try now.