Sunday, October 15

Dance Fever

Ever since I can remember, I have loved to dance. Never took lessons. Never was any good. Now my sister, on the other hand, was born a natural. We grew up dancing a lot together. I simply adore music and I like to move. I dance in the car, I dance at home with the kids. You might even find me moving to the beat at church. GASP! :) I think it's an awesome, healthy expression of our bodies. And it's fun!

I have limited opportunities to dance these days. No more school dances. I'm certainly not planning to hit any clubs. Since Pete changed jobs we no longer have work parties with dancing (don't see this changing anytime soon since half of the employees at his current job are Amish.) I suppose someone could have a wedding and invite me... or I could crash one. (See Wedding Crashers anyone?) But seriously, dancing is most fun with people I know. Because I do it for fun and not because I'm any good, I need a safe environment where people aren't judging my every step. When I was still working outside of the home, I went to an aerobics class called "Latin Grooves." It was aerobics mixed with Latin and Carribean style dancing. Que divertido!

So where am I now? I pretty much just dance with my kids. They both love it. A couple of months ago, Andrew started moving his body up and down whenever he heard music. Now he uses a play drumstick and plays the drum. Emma has been gettin' down for a long time now. We put whatever on.... kids music, Latin music, Elton John, whatever gets us in the mood. We call it "Dance USA." Recently she performed the "Naked Booty Dance" for friends of ours. No, we did not teach her that. And yes, she developed the dance and the term on her own. :) Fortunately, our friends are great natured and enjoyed every minute of it.

Yesterday as I was driving alone in the car, I realized I was dancing at a stoplight. As I looked over to the car beside me, a man in probably his 70s was looking back at me - dancing. Yes, it was hilarious! So I smiled and danced back.

If anyone wants to throw a party with dancing, I'm game!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't really feel comfortable dancing (big suprise) but, you could plan a Costa Rican style party.

Kris said...

Great idea. Probably won't happen for a few years, at least...