So I backed into our Corolla with our van yesterday. (I thought about posting a picture but I'll spare you the visual.) It was so stupid. I was backing out of the garage as Pete ran into the house to get something quick before we left for church. I should be used to this by now since we've been parking our Corolla in the driveway many nights. But I guess Pete's usually got it at work by the time I leave with the van. Anyway, I should have been paying attention. And I wasn't. At all. I didn't even look into my rear or sideview mirrors. CRUNCH. Dumb.
The damage really isn't all that bad. Some scratches on both vehicles and a loose bumper on the van. The brand new van. The one we are still paying on. Yeah, that one. This is why I've always been more comfortable driving my older, used cars. My hubby handled it well. He said it's nothing a little paint won't fix. Of course he knew how horrible I felt so what could he say?! Really, the worst part is that it was completely avoidable and I just wasn't paying attention. I did something similar to this when I was a young adult home on break from college. I drove our Toyota Camry into the mailbox.... while jamming to John Mellencamp on the radio. That was probably just more irresponsible than anything. But at least it was an old car.
Feel free to share any similar stories... or not. It just might make me feel a little better. :)

10 comments:
Kris, I feel so bad for you! This is the worst feeling ever to do something like that which seems so senseless and avoidable. I backed into a tree when I lived at our old house in high school (Sally and Tony's current place). I also backed into our double stroller recently. Fortunately it wasn't damaged. Just remember...we all make mistakes, and think about how many million things we have on our minds all the time. It's so easy to just forget to look.
Thinking of you :)
Yea, well, I do know how you feel. You well remember (and now everyone who reads this blog will also learn) the eventful summer noon about 12 years ago when I was late picking you up for lunch. (We were short on cars that day.) Anyway, the car was pretty close to the side of the garage, and in my rush, well, the crunch and visual wasn't pretty...Remember how dad actually had to rebuild the side corner of the garage because I had knocked out the panel that supported the corner of the garage. He too, was so good about it, as were you daughters-those I rec'd lots of teasing for a while! I wish I could hug you right now.
Love,
Mom
Thanks, Mom. I do remember that. You came to pick me up from work and felt so bad. I guess "like mother, like daughter" is pretty accurate in this case, huh?
Kris, this is so frustrating I know. In college during Thanksgiving break, I was driving a friend's car to Virginia. It was a stick shift and I had NEVER driven one before (too spoiled with automatic I guess). Completely dumb, because I knew I felt uncomfortable using a stick. Well, on the PA turnpike, there was a slowdown of traffic and SLAM, yep, right into the car in front of me b/c I was too nervous to shift down. Let me tell ya...embarassing since it wasn't my car... and it was almost totaled. Today my primary car is a 5-speed. How things change.
One more thing, I volunteered today at preschool and saw your little cowgirl!!! HOW ADORABLE!! She smiled at me when I served her a yummy snack! What a fun fall party, the kids all enjoyed their morning!
Okay, I was just trying to decide for sure who you are aerobics&chocolate... you were my first thought but now it's confirmed!!
I asked the cowgirl if she saw you this morning and she said, "Yeah, lots of times... she said to me, I know your name." She had a blast this morning at the party. Too bad I missed out!!
Kris, I think you need to post photos of your damaged vehicles so that we can all feel your pain even more. I have gotten in a couple of fender benders in my life - and I need the reminder to keep looking whenever I'm backing up. (Although I'm sorry that you got the reminder the hard way.) The van is a big vehicle compared to the compact cars I've driven all my life! Does aerobics and chocolate attend our church? :)
Oh, I don't even want to recall the stupid fender-benders I've been in. The tree, the railroad crossing, the many curbs....oh, it is too hideous to bring to mind, even on Halloween.
With you in humiliation!
Oh Kris I feel for you. I did the exact thing - backed our car into the truck parked in the driveway. Of course, the junker car was the least damaged. The truck had close to $1,000 in damages - it wasn't even drivable until the bumper was pulled out from the wheel. Terrible! Oh, and the tree Les hit at her old house - I hit that tree too backing out of Tony and Sally's driveway one time!! So, we live and learn - these are just little reminders that we are human (and it won't be the last time something like that happens) and we do slip at times when we should be paying attention!!
You all are so sweet. I feel better already.
Post a Comment