I took Emma to her first soccer programs this morning. It was a decision we just made last week. I had planned to sign her up for some sort of physical activity this winter when it's a bit more work to get outside (especially with a young toddler in hand.) I had gone back and forth between gymnastics and dance but just didn't feel 100% about either for a few factors. So I researched the soccer programs offered at our local Soccer Zone, only 12 minutes away. They have a co-ed Tiny Tots program for 3 and 4 year-olds that focuses on movement, self-esteem, and having fun. Perfect, I thought. Pete was in agreement.
So today Emma participated in her first 45 minute class, with Coach Dan at the lead. He is a wonderfully, friendly and fun grandpa-type guy (okay, well he is a grandpa too, but you know the jolly, fun type.) He's got a great way of getting the kids involved and excited. They did little exercises like Simon Says and lots of chants like "I am great!" and "Peace! Love! Power to the kids!" Okay, so it probably was cuter in person. Emma was the only splash of pink and purple on the field of 8 but it didn't phase her in the least. They ran around the gym, did some kicking and dribbling with the ball, and even got to score a goal. But all was done a fun, very low pressure environment. I had to laugh some at Emma and her excitement. She really did a very good job.
Emma loved her first day of soccer and is excited to go back next week. When I asked her what her favorite part was, she responded, "all of it."

7 comments:
If only soccer zone was closer, we would love to join you! I'm actually surprised she's the only girl. I am glad she loved it!
There are several different sessions so I imagine there are other girls signed up, just not in this particular class. The mom next to me said her daughter was also the only girl 3 years ago when she was in a class.
Sounds perfect for Emma! Isn't it exciting to see them involved?
Avery's been in that same class (though on Thursday nights) since September. We're taking a break right now, but she's gone through two sessions. It was so much fun to watch her evolve with her coordination and confidence over those 3-4 months. Coach Dan is a character-you can tell he's been doing this awhile. It would have been fun to be in the same class as Emma. Maybe next time.
Jill
I have heard only wonderful things about Soccer zone from both Jill and Lauren. We'll have to get our ball out when Emma comes over!!!
Hi Kris.
I just checked out our local parks listings because I too was feeling the need to get the girls into something active this winter. We found a tumbling program for 3 and 4 year-olds at Model School here in Goshen. It's cheap, meets for one hour on Saturday mornings, and is run by the local cheerleaders so that's a big bonus for our girls. :) I told Eric I'm worried Meiling will be so smitten by the long-haired beauties that she won't be able to do anything! Kristy
Kris, so glad to hear Emma got Coach Dan!!! He is the best! Noah enjoyed him for several years. I love his teaching philosophy and the way he makes sure each child is having fun!
We'll be signing up Alexis with Soccer Zone in February! Maybe we'll see you there!
Post a Comment