I really struggled when I first became a mother. There was the whole hormonal, postpartum depression thing. And then of course I was sleep deprived and struggling with the whole nursing relationship and worried that Emma wasn't eating and gaining enough. But on top of all of that, I had decided to stay home and quit my profession, and that hit me like a freight train. I missed my adult coworkers. I didn't know what the heck I was doing as a mom and lacked confidence. I wasn't sure how to juggle the whole parenting/housework duties. And I really missed those measurable forms of knowing my job was being well done. The verbal affirmations, the good evaluations, the paycheck. This was the start of a whole new kind of job in which satisfaction was to be reached via alternate ways... with smiles, hugs, poops.
Almost four years later I have adjusted to a whole new career. Like any job, it has its perks and its drawbacks. There are great days and lousy days. Verbal affirmations are something I hear quite frequently these days from my oldest (and I'm holding on to every minute because I know this won't last!) As I was helping Emma wipe after going potty today, she made the title comment. There are just some affirmations you will never hear from your boss!

3 comments:
Now that is a compliment that not everyone gets at work. :)
Way to go, Emma! I love her comment! I also know that for her to say that so spontaneously to her mom she has to used to receiving healthy affirmation. I think she would be a great boss to have!
Mom
This is so great! It's a perfect example of all that we are to our children and how easy it is to forget our significance in their lives. All the little, mundane things we do really are impacting them. :)
Post a Comment