Friday, February 2

Attached At The Ear




This is Andrew's stuffed elephant... "Smellephant," as we affectionately call it in our house. He received it as a gift from Nana and Grandpa G. when he was born and attached to it after the first few months. He has pure love for it as you can tell by these pictures. Recently I've worked hard at keeping elephant in the crib as much as possible so he associates him with sleeping. He falls asleep by sucking the ear. Yes, it sounds gross, but is not so different than babies who suck a pacifier, bottle, or breast to sleep.
Smellephant gets a bath 1-2 times a week. The other day Andrew watched me throw him into the washer and then transfer from washer to dryer. This really upset him. But it must be done. As you can see, it's yellowing and it begins to smell after a couple of days without being washed.
I'd really like to find a backup elephant. Both my sister and I have searched the internet. She wrote the manufacturer who did not write back. I've had an EBAY search going for several months with no luck. It's the Kid Preferred brand of the Carters line, sold at Target. I know there are other babies with these out there. Perhaps one is just sitting on a shelf in someone's home and is not being loved with the same intensity as Smellephant. If you ever see one or know of one, I would love your assistance. I would pay money for a spare.


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Andrew is so cute with his smellephant. The ears are certainly very loved!!! That's where it would be nice if he would have been attached to something nice and brown. (Isaac's snoedel shows this same yellow/dirty coloring and for the life of me I can't wash it out.) I hope that you can find another one - I know we have benefitted from having two of Jonah's monkeys around.

Anonymous said...

YES YES YES! Luke has one just like it and I'm sure I've seen them other places...maybe at the Goshen General Hospital gift store (I'll check there for you). I know Eric's mom bought it for Luke and I think she bought it at the hospital where he was born. I'll ask her to be sure. I've had that elephant along with the yellow duck/blanket thing Sarah gave Luke in his crib now his entire life and Luke could care less about either one. He refuses to bond with anything except my breast! As far as I'm concerned you can have the elephant if you ever need it--if you lose Andrew's or can't find one somewhere else.