Friday, January 26
Over the Top
I just need to comment about my favorite TV drama, Grey's Anatomy, last evening. Anyone else see it? For those of you who saw it and have any clue about the Amish... what was up with that? Okay, maybe I'm being a little harsh. The story line was sweet and all. But it was a little over the top. The woman looked disheveled and not really very accurate. And duh, they wouldn't start speaking PA Dutch to the doctors when they also speak English... they know better. And the whole shunning thing was a little exaggerated. I guess it's just one more sorry Hollywood portrayal of the Amish.

3 comments:
I would have to agree about being a little over the top with the Amish. It always blows my mind the way they are portrayed on TV, but I am guessing that is because we grew up with them and understand them better than most!
Chan
I have to admit that I do not know much about the amish culture but since becoming a parent of a child with autism and meeting other parents of children with other types of special needs I've become very aware of how poorly things are represented on TV and in the media. As much as I like Grey's it is just one more reminder to try not to fall into the stereotype trap!
Alicia
My first comment when I saw the "Amish couple" was...."Are they suppose to be Amish?" I didn't think they looked very Amish to me. Yes, I agree they did get several things wrong when it came to representing the Amish. I did however, like how they emphasized the importance of community within the Amish and how the dying daughter wanted to go back to that community to die with them.
Post a Comment