I just finished my most recent book last evening - The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards. What a wonderful, engaging book!! When I saw that two of my favorite authors, Jodi Picoult and Sue Monk Kidd had commented on the cover, I figured it must be a great book, and it was. Just to give you an idea, a man (who is also a doctor) delivers his wife's twins one snowy evening in the 1960s. After the boy is born healthy, he delivers a daughter who has Down's syndrome. He asks his nurse to take her away to an institution. Instead the nurse raised her as her own in another city. The doctor tells his wife that the girl was dead at birth. Now doesn't that make you want to pick this book up right away?!
The novel I read prior to this one was The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Also an excellent read but much different in nature. This book tells about the life of a boy who grows up in Afghanistan and moves to the U.S. as a young adult. Not only was the story moving, it was fascinating to read about the culture and life in that part of the world, considering the political events that have taken place. I would highly recommend this book as well.
Thanks, Mom, for recommending and loaning both of these books to me. Now it's on to Marley & Me, a book on loan from Mennocajunmamma.

4 comments:
Good for you to be reading! These books sound excellent. I'd especially like to read Memory Keeper's Daugher. I just saw that at Borders and thought it looked so good.
That first book you mentioned sounds amazing! I would definitely like to read that one. It reminds me a bit of a book I read awhile ago called Midwives.
I'm on the hold list at the library for the Memory Keeper's Daughter so I'm looking forward to reading it. I enjoyed The Kite Runner. What an eye opener to another culture, differences, and how we learn about ourselves through other people.
I LOVE both of these books. I just finished the Memory Keepers Daughter last week too! I would have loved to discuss it with you over the weekend, too bad we didn't know each other had been reading it. Jeff and I both loved the Kite Runner too.
Beth
Post a Comment