Wednesday, November 29

Happy Feet

Last Friday Pete, my sister (Tonya), and I took Emma to see her first movie. I had seen trailers for Happy Feet and thought it looked adorable. If you know me well, or knew me growing up, you know I love penguins. I haven't collected them in years but this movie and "The March of the Penguins" have reinforced my love for them. They are just such cute animals! And they really do have a fascinating existence.

Anyway, I had read that the movie was rated PG for some language, humor, and "mild peril." I figured it was worth a shot with Emma. Usually three year-olds don't pick up much with the humor. I was right about that. Nothing concerning in the least. And I can't even remember what the language was, but it was like "stupid" or something like that. No biggie. The mild peril, on the other hand, was a bit much for Emma. It always occured when an animal was trying to get/eat the penguins. The movie was very loud and the sound and visual effects made it scarier than it needed to be. Emma learned to hide her eyes and did ask to go back to Grandpa and Grandma's a couple of times. I'm pretty sure it didn't traumatize her or scar her for life though. I suppose it's a good thing she is sensitive to that. But do think twice about taking a child if he/she is young and/or sensitive to this type of thing.

Other than the peril, I highly recommend the movie. It was very entertaining. The music and the dancing was so fun and well done. I'll definitely be adding the soundtrack to my wish list. Some really talented actors, such as Nicole Kidman, Elijah Wood, Robin Williams, among others, were the voices. The movie had several good messages - about proper disposal of waste and its effect on animals, the benefit of keeping animals in their natural habitat vs. caging in a zoo or aquarium, how fishing/taking their food source can affect penguins (and other animals), learning to find the good in others despite their differences. It even had a multiethnic spin in its choice of characters and music.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who might have seen this movie. If not, I'd encourage you to get to the theaters or put on your priority list when it comes to DVD. I have a feeling this will be another must-own movie in our household!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We took the kids to this movie last Wed. afternoon, then out to Culver's afterwards (which, by the way was very tasty. Pete had recommended it.) I had the same reaction to the movie that you did. Sasha covered her eyes when the seal (can't remember...was it a sea lion?) was trying to eat the penguin. Matthew was unfazed. I also felt the whole thing was too loud and moved pretty fast. Other than that it was a good movie. I agree that the penguins were so cute. Some of the comments by Ramon in his wonderful accent were just hilarious!

Lesley

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing about the movie. Someone told us to take Avery...that she would love it. Maybe we'll talk about what to do if you're scared prior to going. I'll let you know how she does!

Jill

Anonymous said...

Jonah is totally scared to death by things and does not let them go easily, so I won't be taking him to this one, or any other movie for a very long time. I am glad that Emma and others have enjoyed it, though! It is fun to take kids to the movies - I love hearing them all laugh in unison at really silly things.

Anonymous said...

I think Canyon would enjoy seeing the movie but I know Sienna would have a hard time sitting through a movie in a theatre. We viewed "Cars" at our local library last Friday morning and enjoyed popcorn and lemonade. That setting was nice because Sienna could wonder a little bit and it was free! Cars was the first movie and only movie Canyon has seen in the theatre.

Anonymous said...

Reading this really brought a smile to my face. I am so glad Emma's first movie was so enjoyable. As you know we love Penguins too. Im looking forward to this movie... Hey, does this mean we can take the kids to the movies together now? Im excited...