I kind of feel like a pro now when it comes to preparing for a trip. Although it still is a bit stressful and takes some energy to get everything together. I was talking to another mom at Emma's preschool this morning about how much work it is to get ready. I kind of felt silly - she is the mom of 7 children. But regardless, it is work.
I've learned a couple of things along the way and will continue to learn for years to come. Some tips I have are the following:
- I try to always get my laundry done a day in advance. This meant that I did load after load yesterday. But what a good feeling to get up this morning and know that anything I needed to pack was clean and ready to go.
- I keep an ongoing "packing list" on my computer. It's a list of the essentials for me, both kids, and the general stuff. I let Pete take care of himself. This is not his method and really, it doesn't need to be since he's only responsible for his clothes, toiletries, and optional reading material. I, on the other hand, need to make sure the rest of us have the right clothes, snacks, cameras are ready to go, gifts are wrapped (this time it's my dad's bday celebration), etc. The list helps me remember what I need. I can add to it or just cross off things that might not be necessary for a particular trip. It's totally worth it for me. Just print it off and I've got my guide.
- I always stick a bottle of water or two in the freezer the night before. This can serve as an icepack for a cooler or a drink a little later on the trip. (I'm partial to cold water.)
- If we'll be traveling into the evening, I keep a set of pjs in a travel bag up front so the change is easy and we don't have to go routing through suitcases.
- Whenever possible, we fill up and get cash out before the trip. Pete's out getting cash tonight (oh and my weekly pumpkin pie blizzard but that's not really important to the matter at hand) and I filled the tank yesterday. It cuts time and gets us on the road faster.
- Before we go to bed tonight, everything we need, with the exception of things being used overnight or necessary to get ready in the morning, will be packed and sitting in the living room. That way in the morning, I can quickly get last minute items (these are circled on my list) into the right places and out to the van easily.
Maybe this is all common sense, but these are just some of the things I do to make this trips possible and not too overwhelming. I'd love to hear other suggestions out there as well.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm thankful for each of you in my life.

10 comments:
Kris, I hope you guys have a wonderful trip. I also keep a packing list on our computer and it has been so helpful when trying to remember all the details. It is truly amazing how many details there are in packing for kids. There are so many more "just in case we need it" things with kids than for just adults, such as all the extra changes of clothes, medications, toys, etc. I always take care of all this stuff too, and let Ted do just his own stuff. Sometimes I feel like I'm just enabling him to be more forgetful when I am so organized, but I also know that if I'm not super organized we will likely be missing something really critical!
By the way, I also asked for a pp blizzard tonight since Ted is out playing raquetball with Kevin and Brent. He said they're "going out" afterwards so I'm not sure what time or if I'll be getting my blizzard!
I wonder if list-making runs in the family. I am totally a list maker, especially when it comes to getting ready to leave for somewhere. I make lists ALL the time, though, and a lot of it has to do with crossing things off - sometimes I write things down just so I can cross them off. And I also circle things that are important or the last few on the list. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and be safe on the roads. Love to all your family from us!
Oh, and I usually pack for Matt, at least most things. Just find it easier since he would be at a different pace than me and I like to get things done! And how good you are to only binge on the blizzards once a week .. :) Luckily we moved further away from Dairy Queen almost 2 years ago, but now I just get our Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream and indulge way to often at home!
I do similar things when getting ready for a trip. Yes, I agree, it is a lot of time and effort to have a well planned, punctual, and overall pleasant trip. Do you usually travel at day or night? Josh always prefers driving at night because he supposedly is more awake. I, however, loathe night driving and traveling; except for having less traffic. It was ok before we had children but, now it just doesn't work well. Katie doesn't sleep in her car seat well and then she is just out of sorts the next day. I'm the same way.
Also, how does it go for the return trip? Who unpacks? When does it happen? Josh usually help get everything out of the car but, I get to put most things away and do laundry, again. I really don't like unpacking.
Good suggestions and reminders Kris! Snacks - that's the most important thing on my list on any trip (we fortunately don't have to travel more than 4 1/2 hrs in a car since we do most of our traveling by plane to see family). My mom-in-law is so thoughtful she even asks if she can have things on hand for us so we don't have to bring them (pull-ups, formula in the baby days, etc).
That is especially helpful of your mother-in-law, double M! I always tell Josh that's what I want to do when and if I become a grandma. We weren't so lucky when we were traveling to have supplies waiting for us when we got there.
Hi, everyone. We made it to PA in great time, considering we traveled the day before Thanksgiving with two kids. Andrew, who screamed during some of our previous travels, only cried hard for about 20 minutes or so. Pete was able to content him with some keys and a bib... whatever it takes!
My pumpkin pie blizzard was delicious, by the way, but I probably should have skipped it for the week. My sister made peanut butter pie and pumpkin pie and Mom just made an apple pie tonight (two of these are Pete's favorites so they were for his birthday.)
Chan - I think list-making must be a family thing, although several of my friends are pretty into it as well. I love to make lists for everything.
MCM - it's funny you talk about night driving. I looked at Pete on Wed. evening just before 10 and suggested we move the sleeping kids to the van and leave right then for PA. He would have done it if I had been serious. We driven late into the night before, especially to help kids sleep better. But I really prefer to drive during the day. I don't drive well at night and it feels more dangerous to me. But I know people who swear by it.
About that unpacking, I guess it just depends when we get home. Pete does most of the unloading and I do most of the unpacking. I'm not crazy about it either, but there is something nice about getting everything back in it's spot and being home again.
Double M, my mom does the same thing. She always has diapers, wipes, baby soap/shampoo on hand, whatever. I think she enjoys being able to have those things around since she doesn't have grandchildren close by. It is pretty nice not to have to worry about packing those items.
These packing tips you gave are awesome, Kris! I have a general list on the computer, too, but we don't travel as often so it's pretty outdated. Maybe you could post the travel list (if it's not too personal) as a starting point for those of us who are organizer wanna-be's? :-)
Post a Comment